Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Face Wash Regimen (All Natural)

So I have been toying with a face wash regimen for the last week or so to try to perfect what I want.  I have had really bad skin since I can remember.  I have tried every single product in under the sun.  Proactive, Clean and Clear, Neutrogena, Clearasil, Acnefree, and Burts Bees, just to name a few!  Nothing ever worked so I decided it was time to make my own regimen.  It started with a lot of research.  I knew I wanted something all natural.  This was mostly because I wanted something that was easy to make and as non irritating as possible.

After some research my possibilities included...
just about everything under the sun... So I threw everything out the window and Decided to pretty literally make it up as I went along.  What I ended up with were a few key ingredients that I made into a three sometimes four step system. 
Organic ACV
Coconut Oil
Baking Soda
Tea Tree Oil
Aquaphor
Although I initially wanted to use only all natural ingredients, Aquaphor has been something I use on my skin daily since I was a kid.  It made the rounds in my house and got used on everything!  It is scent free and doesn't clog pours.  Aquaphor is something I will probably never be able to cut ties with even if one day I lived in the forrest in a tent.  Seriously this stuff is THAT good!

Step One, Scrub:
This one is pretty basic.  Simply Baking soda and water.  Thats Right! Just baking soda and water.  I use about a 1/4 BSoda to a 3/4 Water mix.  You should adjust this based on your own skin type because the soda will exfoliate the skin.



Step Two, Toner:
Again this is basic.  Organic ACV.  This once again stinks to high heaven, but it goes away completely when it dries.  I use about 50/50 water to ACV because my acne is pretty heavy.  Some people say to use it full strength some say 1 part ACV to 10 parts water.  Basically there is no right answer.



        My experiences:
I have used it full strength and 50/50.  I switched to 50/50 simply because it cut the smell down.  It was going away on my face but my bathroom was starting to stink-Yuck!-and I will say it cuts down the stench by a ton.  I have not noticed it working differently since diluting it.  However I will admit I would probably switch to full strength when I get a breakout just to nip it in the butt.

Step Three, Moisturize:
I use two different moisturizers, one during the day and one overnight.  Coconut oil is the sole ingredient the night time moisturizer.  Since I also use it on my skin I just take it straight out of the jar.  However and this is  BIG however, you must use Virgin Coconut oil.  It should be white and a little cakey.  Once you heat it up between your fingers it melts right into clear oil.  I just apply a thin layer all over my skin and thats that!
During the day I have this spray bottle with a cup of water and maybe a teaspoon of Coconut Oil in it.  I just spray my face with it lightly with it after toner.  I switch it up because the straight oil takes a while to absorb, and I don't have the time in the morning!


Step Four, Spot Treatment/Mask:
This is where the Aquaphor comes in.  I just took about a tablespoon of Aquaphor and mix in a drop or two of tea tree oil.  I originally did this as spot treatment because I wanted something more substantial than just oil so I felt like it was staying on my face all night.  Once every three days I replace the coconut oil with this mask.  Just a thin layer on my skin before bedtime.



THATS IT!  I know it was a lot of words, but if you think about it most steps are just one ingredient.  Doesn't it erk you that it can be that simple.  I will say my skin has NEVER looked so much better.  It is not overly dry oily messy anything.  Just slowly clearing up and getting healthier.  A big part of this is my honey mask.  Since I find it so crucial I will make an entire post dedicated to it.  It is just too lovely!


P.S.  Shelf life is something I was concerned about when I decided to use all natural ingredients.  However, I made all of these ahead of time and store them in my bathroom.  So far nothing has gone bad or smelled funny and it has been a couple of weeks.

Please remember, this is how these things reacted to MY skin.  Each person is different and ingredients may react to your face in a better or worse way.  Be careful and let me know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment